1. Cuticle and nail oil is a must for cold, dry weather. Natural oils like shea butter, avocado, and jojoba are the best types to use for hydrating nails and cuticles to prevent small cracks and openings in the nail which can lead to infections, hang nails, and ingrowns. These oils also strengthen the natural nail. We think about cuticle oils on our hands, but we forget about them for our feet.
2. A winter pedi is a perfect chance to treat your nails while taking a break from polish. It is ok to be bare! Nails are made of a tough protective protein called keratin. Nails do not breathe, but putting polish onregularly without a break can lock in and trap bacteria, fungus, yeast, mold, and mildes that can form under the nail plate. Podiatrist Erin Nelson from Des Moines University taught our team during a recent training that if you have unwanted growths, polish could trap them in, speeding along their progression. It is also good to take a polish break before a visit to your physician, podiatrist, or dermatologist so they can inspect nails for fungus, ingrowns, and melanoma. We can always buff your natural nails to a shine if you are willing to take the bare nail plunge!
3. Professional, safe nail trimming and filing helps prevent ingrowns, excessive skin overgrowth, and helps keep nails from catching onto those fuzzy socks and tearing. A licensed nail care professional can help teach you the best way to clip and file nails and can help identify concerns that might warrant a visit to the podiatrist.
4. A pedicure is a great opportunity for extra TLC to clean the unwanted dirt and debris that easily gets caught under toenails and between toes. People can also experience issues if they donít properly dry between their toes, especially before putting on socks. For some people, especially guests with injuries, who are pregnant or aging, it is hard or impossible to reach your own toes! Our nail technicians take care of that while you relax.
5. A pedicure can be a time to relax and recharge your batteries. Enjoy a cup of hot tea, get an amazing foot massage, and do something that is good for your physical AND mental health.